The Newton Academy, Newton
"This building was erected before 1798 on land conveyed by the estate of Johnathan Hampton for the purpose of a meeting house. The school was incorporated in 1801 and classes were held here until 1830. The building was sold to John H. Hall who set up a store on the first floor in partnership with John Johnson and the Sussex Register newspaper on the second floor. In 1855 Hall sold to merchant Wm. Nicholas. Various businesses and renovations to the building followed, becoming vacant in 1986. Gifted to the Sussex County Historical Society in 2017."
Sponsored by the Sussex County Historical Society, submitted by Ms. Wendy Wyman.