Marker Photo Coming Soon

Sussex County Alms House and Potter’s Field, Frankford Township (2022)

This County building, the former Sussex County Alms House, was built in 1832. Behind it is the Sussex County Potter’s Field, an unmarked cemetery which serves as the resting place of between 500 and 600 persons including residents of the Alms House, and veterans of the War of 1812. Research conducted by local historians Stanaback and Mowder using the Alms House annual reports, uncovered the names of 365 of the persons interred here between 1833 and 1900. This marker commemorates those 500-600 forgotten Alms House residents. The Alms House was a significant piece of Sussex County history and helped many poor and indigent survive.

Erected by Robert Caruso and the Sussex County Board of County Commissioners.