If you have been injured as a result of a crime, have missed work, have had to go for counseling or have medical expenses not covered by insurance, you may be able to receive money to cover some of your costs. If a family member was a victim of a homicide or vehicular homicide, you may qualify for assistance with burial expenses. Other benefits are available; however, property crimes are generally not covered by the Victims of Crime Compensation Board. Be aware, Victims of Crime Compensation Office is the payer of last resort.

You can apply for compensation even if the offender has not been caught or convicted, but you must report the crime to the police.

A Victim Advocate can help you fill out an application form or you can obtain one directly from:

Victims of Crime Compensation Office
50 Park Place
Newark, NJ 07102

Toll free number: 1-877-658-2221
https://www.nj.gov/oag/njvictims external link

For more information, please call the Sussex County Prosecutor's Office Victim Assistance Unit at: 973-383-1570.