Tips for Testifying
When Testifying in Court............
- Tell the truth at all times. Answer questions accurately based on your recollection of the event.
- Answer questions directly. Answer with a simple, polite "yes" or "no" whenever possible.
- Do not guess if you don’t know the answer to a question. It is better to say, "I don’t know" or, "I don't remember" than to give an inaccurate answer.
- Listen carefully to the questions. If you do not understand the question or you didn't hear what was asked, ask that the question be explained or repeated.
- Stay calm. Show confidence in yourself and in what you are saying. Imagine you are talking with family or friends.
- Speak as clearly as possible in a strong voice so the jury will hear and understand you.
- If there is an objection, or if the Judge interrupts, stop your answer immediately.
- Do not volunteer information. Only answer the questions that are asked.
- Dress neatly and conservatively.