Sussex County citizens and visitors,
Welcome to Sussex County history. This page is intended to be a foundation upon which to present our rich heritage. Here we recognize and list the places and organization whereby a person can find ways to enjoy what we have. The purpose is to build a bridge from the past, to be appreciated and enhanced today, and preserved for future generations.
Sussex County Historian
Historic Marker Update (August 2020)
I am happy to state the we have awarded three Sussex County historical markers for 2020.
- Greendell Train Station, Green Township, sponsored by the Lackawanna Cutoff Historical Committee (submitted by Mr. Keith Smolin)
- The Newton Academy, Newton, sponsored by the Sussex County Historical Society (submitted by Ms. Wendy Wyman)
- Wawayanda Furnace, Vernon, sponsored by the Vernon Historical Society (submitted by Ms. Jessi Palladini)
The awardees will be provided assistance by the County to share in the cost as provided in the agreement, and are able to use the Sussex County sign format.
The marker selection committee consists of Greg Poff, Joe Biuso, Lydia Palmer, and myself.
I am pleased to have been supported with an informal subcommittee by renowned Sussex County historians Ron Dupont, Mario Poggi, and Jeff Stovekin.
Thank you for your support in keeping our Sussex County history alive and recognized.
10/20/2020 Colonel Ryerson Civil War Roundtable Fall Tour
Oak Tree Planting - Contact: William R. Truran
Contact: William R. Truran to add your event.
A program is underway to alert the youth of our heritage, inform them, and encourage them to research and preserve our heritage.
Special County Programs
Local History Organizations
- Branchville Borough Historical Society
- Branchville Borough Historical Society Museum Tour - Sussex County's 10th Annual Heritage Weekend 2020
- Byram Township Historical Society
- Waterloo Village Historic Site
- Canal Society of NJ Museum in Waterloo Village
- Old Byram
- Montague Association for the Restoration of Community History (MARCH)
- High Pt. Monument / High Point Park Historic District
- Friar Mountain Model Railroad Museum
- Sparta Historical Society
- Sparta Historical Society Van Kirk Museum Tour
- Sparta Train Station
- Deckertown Union Cemetery
- Elias Van Bunschooten Museum
- Lusscroft Farm
- Old Clove Church
- Space Farms Zoo & Museum
- Sussex-Wantage Historical Society